“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, as I have loved you”
The Servant King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FSZ_iSYO8
Lord Jesus Christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_g98O42Q4
Meekness and Majesty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8rmvWNpIo
You laid aside your majesty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXrV-0JqoI
A new commandment I give you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7W8avIXIY
Jesus washes his disciples’ feet: (from John 13 v3-15)
And during supper Jesus … got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, ‘Lord, are you going to wash my feet?’ Jesus answered, ‘You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand.’ Peter said to him, ‘You will never wash my feet.’ Jesus answered, ‘Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.’ Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!’ ….
After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, ‘Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.
- Remember and pray for all who care for others today:
in residential care and hospitals, in homes, refugee camps and shelters,
those delivering food and medicines at this time…
- Pray for all you love and care about and care for…
- Pray for all who care for and love you, friends, neighbours and family…
The Last Supper: (from 1 Corinthians 11 v23-26)
The Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, ‘This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
- What does the Communion Service mean to you?
- At this time when we can’t celebrate Communion together in church, remember a time when you took Communion, imagine yourself kneeling at the communion rail or standing with your hands open ready to receive Christ in the form of bread and wine… and give thanks…
You might like to further read the events of Maundy Thursday as Jesus goes to the Garden of Gethsemane: Matthew 26 v36-56
We pray on Maundy Thursday especially for:
- All prisoners and those in custody,
- Those imprisoned without trial…
- Those who wait and weep and watch with loved ones…
May God bless us, that in us may be found love and humility, obedience and thanksgiving, discipline, gentleness and peace. Amen.